Making connections to my teaching context - Artefact 5


 
After considering the relationship between pedagogy and technology and student engagement I started to think where these concepts fit into the model of negotiated learning implemented at my school, Summerland Primary School. Negotiated learning was introduced to my school in 2013 and this visual representation came about through staff professional development, visits to other schools and numerous staff meetings. 

Negotiated Learning Model at Summerland Primary School (2013)


Taking into consideration my new understandings I would make slight changes to this model.
Student engagement would be placed in the central circle as negotiated learning puts students at the centre of learning and McCombs and Vakili (2005) stated that this fosters positive relationships between teachers and students built on mutual respect and compassion.
Technology has been added to the background of the diagram, showing the seamless integration and role that technology plays in the learning. It is there as a tool to enhance learning, it is not being used for the sake of it.

 
Adapted model (2016).